Everyone loves to share a smile, but great-looking smiles require care, maintenance, and sometimes restoration. A patient cannot remove the hardened plaque, also called tarter, that builds up on teeth above and below the gum lines. Tartar can irritate gums and lead to infections, like periodontal disease. Research has shown that the bacteria in these infections can enter the blood stream to compromise the health of major systems, contributing to heart disease, strokes, and even compromising pregnancies. We want to help you prevent potential problems and treat any problems you have. Take heart in the fact that periodontal disease is reversible. You should schedule regular check ups and professional cleanings at least twice a year. During your visit, we will comprehensively assess your entire oral cavity and create a preventive plan designed to meet the unique needs of your smile.
Our thorough exam will include reviewing your medical history to determine whether you’re at risk for specific problems. We’ll also check your soft tissue and jaw joints (TMJ), and we’ll perform an easy oral cancer exam and periodontal screening. This exam will tell us if you show signs of gum disease, oral cancer, tooth decay, or damaged dental work that needs repair.
We offer the following preventive services:
- Regular Check Ups and Cleanings – visit us every six months, or more, so we can remove the hardened plaque that causes gum disease.
- Dental Sealants - to prevent decay in the pits and groove of teeth.
- Patient Education – brushing and flossing techniques and understanding the disease process is essential to prevention.
- Breath Treatment – tongue scrapers and alcohol-free mouth rinses to treat common concerns, such as “bad breath”.
- Nightguards and Custom Sport Mouthguards - to protect teeth from nighttime grinding or injury during sports activities.
- Fluoride Treatments - for children and high-risk adults will help prolong the life of existing fillings and prevent new decay.
Pediatric Dental Services
Our pediatric dental services focus on prevention, comfort, education, and, most importantly, providing a positive dental experience for you and your child. A few of our most common services and benefits include:
- Professional cleanings, fluoride treatment, and oral cancer screening
- Pit and fissure sealants
- Sports mouth guards
- Education for prevention including proper brushing techniques and the dangers of consuming colas and energy or sports drinks
- Stickers, toothbrush goody-bags, and toy chest prizes
Products for Prevention
We recommend the following:
- Flouridex prescription toothpaste can prevent decay and remineralize weakened areas on teeth in high risk patients, especially those who drink one or more soda or energy drinks per day.
- MI Paste is a new product derived from milk that rebuilds lost tooth structure and helps decrease sensitivity.
- The Sonicare toothbrush improves gum health without the damage caused by “over-brushing”.
- Silent Night anti-snoring devices work by positioning the jaw to reduce or eliminate snoring and its related health concerns.